Lauren-Georgina: My First Week Back In Southampton

17:07:00

Last Sunday, myself, Ricky, my little brother and my dad packed up the car and took a lads trip back down to Southampton. Now I knew I had a lot of things to take with me, but I didn't think Ricky and I would have to be balancing my full length mirror on our knees for the whole journey!


This year I'm living with just three other girls from uni; two of which are my best friends, so watch out Southampton, the Dream Team are back! We have a student house this year, a proper house. We are officially proper adults. We pay proper bills. Terrifying.

Ricky stayed to help me unpack and make my room cosy. He also came in handy to move my wardrobe around, which I then decided looked better the way it was before, meaning he had to move it back again... he wasn't happy! He was also there to calm me down after a supermarket related meltdown; I forgot how stressful ASDA was! After living together for the past four months, it was very weird leaving him at the train station to go back home. I keep saying though, what is two more years at uni compared to a lifetime?!

My first night in the new house was relatively chilled, this was until we thought we could hear a dog downstairs in our kitchen! Turns out our neighbours have a huge dog and every noise that is made down our street is amplified and terrifying. The night before I moved in, the oven had also exploded, so that was now a no go area! We found out our landlord isn't the quickest as sorting out problems also, with the oven only being fixed yesterday...a week later! We're all constant tea drinkers in this household, however we were yet to purchase a kettle at this point. This meant to make tea we had to boil a pan of water on the hob every time. It was a low point in our lives.

As all the new first year students have also just moved in, this week has meant only one thing...Freshers. Now I may be getting old, but was I that annoying last year when I was a Fresher?! I know they're only having fun and excited to be at uni, but my goodness. We've decided against clubbing again until Freshers is over!
Last year when living in halls and sharing a kitchen with nine other people, I found properly cooking an absolute nightmare. There was no room and too many people, so I'd just throw something basic in the oven and be done with it. I'm actually a decent cook (I got a B in Food Tech GCSE...just saying), but no one believed me because I wouldn't bother last year. So when I made a chilli on Friday night, it was a big moment for everyone and I think I proved them wrong!

Over the weekend we took a house trip to IKEA in town. People lose their shit in IKEA. It was absolute carnage! We also discovered how expensive IKEA can be, £30 for a little rug? I'm a student, IKEA mate, what are you on?!


In the week I also had an introduction to the second year of my course. It was lovely to see all the girls again and our lecturers. We went through our timetable, our assignment deadlines and what is expected of us this year. Although slightly daunting, I'm quite excited to begin. I've said previously how I still have doubts whether uni is the one for me, I do actually really enjoy my course. I like being able to focus on what I'm good at, like writing and leaving maths and similar behind. The only maths I need is to sort out the bills... but that's for future Lauren to worry about.
So far not too bad. Saying that, on my second day back I witnessed a massive shoplifting... welcome back to Southampton!
Lauren-Georgina x  

You Might Also Like

0 comments