Lauren-Georgina: The Graduation Blues
12:21:00
Last month I graduated university with a First Class Honours in Magazine Journalism. It was the most exciting, most nerve wrecking day of my life and was a great end to the craziest three years at university.
I've said before, I never wanted to go to university and in reality it wasn't until my third and final year that I actually felt like I'd made the right decision in going. It's sad really, but my first two years where overshadowed by personal issues and I never really had the 'uni experience'.
However, even through the highs and the lows, I was grateful to throw my motarboard up in the air eventually - even if only for the Boomerang!
Graduation is an odd one. You've worked hard for three years, you've shook the old mans hand on stage, you're holding your degree...well what now?
This is it, this is everything you've been working and waiting for, so why does it feel so anticlimactic? For me it did anyway.
Once you've handed in your final piece of work, that's it, graduation fever! What am I going to wear? Who am I going to invite? Will my gown be too big? Will the photographer get my good side? So many questions and the next thing you know, the days here, the gowns on, the photographs taken and then it's done!
It didn't hit me that I'd actually graduated until about a week later and the terror of adult life started kicking in. I was no longer a student. There'd be no more stumbling home, kebab in hand at 4am. There'd be no more skipping lectures and watching daytime telly all day. There'd be no more lying in bed with your housemate for hours on end chatting utter shite.
It's a scary and uncertain time for many 'students', especially if like me, you didn't have a proper plan. Everything you've known for the past three of four years has suddenly changed and there's a lot of pressure to settle back into normality and find your dream graduate job and start living this high flying 'adult' life.
Now I've learnt that this isn't a reality. Luckily for me, I bagged an 'adult' job quite quickly and am set to start next week. Is it my dream job? No it's not, but it's a job and that's an achievement in itself. It'll allow me to save money for my future and give me the opportunity to do whatever I wanted to do with me life.
Yes, after three years at university, I still don't know what I want to do with my life, but who does?!
All I can say is that this my chance to live my life and if you've just graduated too and feeling uncertain about life after uni, don't worry, we're all in the same boat!

0 comments